The Bedford Hall
The collection of buildings in a Jacobean style at the Tank Yard, Thorney are home to the Thorney Museum, the Fire Station, the Bedford Hall, the North Level Drainage Board and several small businesses. The Bedford Hall has been a community resource since it was named and opened in April 1981. More recently the Hall has been licenced for civil marriages, civil partnerships, renewal of vows, baby naming ceremonies, music & dancing.
It is the ideal venue for weddings receptions, parties, conferences, exhibitions and concerts.
From 1848, Samuel Sanders Teulon began the redevelopment of Thorney, including the Tank Yard buildings for Francis the
7th Duke of Bedford, as part of his model village.
The brick tower, built in 1855, houses a large cast iron tank on the sixth floor, once providing water to the village. Water was fed to the Tank Yard via the Thorney River from the River Nene where two engines installed in the cellars of the Hall pumped the water to the tower tank. Other parts of the Tank Yard complex included a blacksmith's shop, craftsmen's workshops, a timber store, a sawmill and the engineer's house.